Fort Myers Florida History
The history of Fort Myers, Florida, has been the subject of numerous books, movies, and television series, as well as a number of films and books. When Fort Myers was incorporated in 1885, it was a small town of just over 1,000 people, bursting at the seams with a bulging population.
With population growth, the residential areas also flourished, as Fort Myers became known as a destination in southwest Florida. In the mid-19th century, it was connected by rail to Tampa and Miami, and more were added with the advent of the Big Boom in the 1920s.
World War II brought a new wave of growth to Fort Myers and the rest of southwest Florida. It was a return to its military legacy that would lead it out of depression and into prosperity, and it was the beginning of a long period of economic prosperity for the region.
But it was only with the construction of the Tamiami Trail Bridge in 1924, which connected the present North Fort Myers with the historic downtown, that the boom began. Access to the Fort Myers area was improved in the 1920s, when the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad connected Punta Gorda with Fort Naples and the campus of Florida State University. In the 1930s and 1940s, access to and from the Fortyers area was improved after the construction of a new bridge over the river and a bridge over the Gulf of Mexico to connect the Atlantic coast with Punticoa from Fort Lauderdale and then Fayetteville, Florida, and finally Cape Coral.
Fort Myers, which was named the original county town, was so successful that it soon gained its long-standing title as the largest city in the state.
By 1885, Fort Myers had more than 1,000 hotels, restaurants and other businesses. In 1887, world-renowned inventor Thomas Edison completed the construction of a winter house and country estate known as Seminole Lodge in the town of Fortyers. He had recently moved to Fort Myers from Tampa and had built his first house, Seminole House, on the site of the old Seminoles Lodge.
After the Civil War, the fort itself was demolished, but much of the wood of the fort was used to build the first residential buildings in the Fort Myers settlement. Fort Harvie was built on the site that is now downtown Fort Myers when the base was destroyed by a hurricane and almost immediately became a settlement camp. In 1887, a camp was built south of the city centre, where the cemetery of the fortress is located today.
The growth of commercial and residential development has driven development in both directions, creating the city's current downtown and many of its tourist destinations, and strengthening its reputation as a popular tourist destination. While some areas of Fort Myers were devastated by Hurricane Charley in 2004, many popular tourist destinations remained intact.
The Fort Myers Historical Museum, housed in the restored Atlantic Coast Line railroad depot, traces the history of the area from prehistoric times to the present day. Major events from the city's past are captured at the Southwest Florida Museum of History, where tourists can experience the historic buildings, sites and landmarks of Fort Lee, Fort Meyers and other parts of South Florida.
Fort Myers is located on the Atlantic Coast Line railroad line between Fort Myers and Fort Lee in the heart of South Florida, just a few miles north of downtown.
The fort, later named after Colonel Abraham C. Myers, was built in 1841 for the campaign against the Seminoles. Later it was renamed Fort Myers in honor of Colonel Abram Myers, who was the quartermaster of the fort in the mid-19th century. The fort was used in both the Seminole and Indian wars and renamed after its first owner, Colonel Robert Myers. During the Seminole and Civil Wars, it was a US military fort that changed name, shape and purpose. Myers was one of the first to be built on the Atlantic Coast Line railway line from Fort Lee, Florida, to Florida City.
Captain Manual A. Gonzales, who transported supplies and mail on a tiny sloop during the war, was stationed in an abandoned Confederate garrison known as Fort Myers by Captain Manual "A" Gonzales. After people from the north began relocating the area in the 1960s and 1970s, it became known as Cowtown in South Florida. The United States Army Air Corps called the field "Fort Myers Army and Air Base," though the official name is Lee County Airport.
His pirate career began in 1783 and continued into the 18th century, from the waters of the Gulf of Cuba to North Fort Myers.
Gaspar brought Floridablanca to Charlotte Harbor, which is now home to Fort Myers International Airport and the University of South Florida. Gaspar's son Joseph and his wife Maria de la Cruz dug owls in the woods near the northern bank of the Caloosahatchee River, where it meets the Gulf of Mexico, at the end of the 19th century. The Fortyers host the Everblades at Germain Arena and the Florida Gators, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Rays and Florida Marlins at Germains Arena. On its northern shore, it overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and is bordered by Lake Okeechobee to the north, the Indian River Lagoon to the south, and Lake St. Lucie County to the south.